DAY 16 (6/26/05): Fort Erie to Peacock Point, ONT 76.8mi.  The first 15 or so
miles today were all on very nice bike paths.  There were lots of other people
out on the paths running and riding, and they were all very friendly.  After
the bike path, I picked up a narrow road that meanders along the shore of Lake
Erie at a distance of about 20 feet from the water.  The inland side of the
road is lined with little vacation cottages.  The road has almost no traffic
since it is paralleled by a much more major road a mile or so inland.  There
were lots of Harleys out cruising, and they were very keen on Dagny and the
whole adventure.  I stopped and bought my first souvenier of the trip: a woman
who lives in one of the cottages that I passed is a welder and makes little
scrap metal animals as a hobby.  I couldn't resist a little ant made out of an
old railroad spike (Dagny is an A.N.T.)  So, I have a pound or so of solid
metal to carry with me until I get back to the states, but that's ok.

DAY 17 (6/27/05): Peacock Point to Port Burwell, ONT 62.4mi.  Last night I made
friends with some of the people who live in the cabins in the park here during
the summer, and my day started off well when one of them stopped by my campsite
with freshly brewed coffee.  The scenery on today's ride was a bit different
than yesterday as the rode was farther from the lake and went through lots of
fields, mostly corn and wheat with a few fruit orchards.  I camped on Lake Erie
again this evening.  The only really noteworthy feature of this campsite is
thousands and thousands of what the locals call "fish flies."  These insects,
which basically look like mosquitos but are three times as large, don't bike. 
In fact, they don't eat at all and just live in their adult form for 72 hours,
enough to mate and lay eggs.  The annoyance of being surrounded by all the fish
flies was somewhat compensated for by the acrobatic show put on by the hundreds
of tiny birds that swooped through the air, wheeling and diving, as they
pursued the flies.  All the birds were backlit by the Erie sunset, which was
really beautiful.

DAY 18 (6/28/05):  Port Burwell to Eatonville, ONT 83.8mi.  Today was another
day of cruising through the starch bowl of Ontario, corn, wheat, and potatoes
on all sides.  After I arrived at the campground, the sky grew very dark and at
about 9pm a huge thunderstom began.  The lightening made the sky as bright as
day and the thunder sounded like it was right overhead.  The ran was so heavy
that it bounced up off the ground and coated my tent with sand and mud.  I
stayed nice and dry in the tent, though, reading Don Quixote by flashlight and
eating chocolate as the storm raged outside.

DAY 19 (6/29/05): Eatonville, ONT to Capac, MI 103.7mi.  This morning I rode a
few more miles of Canadian farmland to get to the St. Clair river, which forms
the border between Ontario and MIchigan.  I then rode north along the river to
get to Sombra, where I took a little ferry across the river to Marine City, MI,
and was basically waved through the tiny customs plaza to my native soil.In
Marine City, I picked up a bikepath that supposedly led to the town of St.
Clair to the north.  The path lead past dozens of McMansions, all built
literally in the shadow of two huge electrical power plants.  Very odd.  The
bikepath wasn't exactly as shown on my map, so I wandered around St. Clair
before stumbling on the right road out of town.  From there, I made my way to
the nearest campground shown on my map.  Unfortunately, it turned out to be a
"members only RV club."  The parking lot attendant, who was dressed in a faux
park ranger outfit, wasn't in the mood to make an exception for a tired
cyclist.  So, I got out the map and found that I had another 25mi to the next
campground.  So, at 6pm and with 75mi already behind me, I put the spurs to
Dagny and we charged off across Michigan, rollint at a good clip all the way to
the KOA just east of Capac.  The Canadian couple that runs the Kampground were
very nice to me, and the hot shower feltawfully good after a long, long day.